Here it goes...

Here it goes...

Sunday 8 September 2013

A year ago today.

I sit here writing this and cannot believe that this time last year my adventure was just starting. On the 9th of September 2012 I left everything I knew and loved to live in a city I’d never been to before in a country I knew very little about. And it was the best decision of my life to date.

I am writing this as my last blog entry for a while. Until I hit the road again for my next adventure, wherever or whenever that will be. It is scary and exciting to not know where my life will take me, but I hope it will continue on the path it has started on.

My last few weeks in Turkey were quite literally a riot.  The Turkish people took to the streets, and things got pretty scary pretty quickly. A highlight of this was definitely speeding through a fog of teargas in a taxi as we drove past a man wearing a gas mask with a huge bleeding cut on his head.  Through this craziness I have never been more thankful for my Turkish family, who quite literally took me under their wings and let me move in for my last month in Turkey. Although my actual father was equally as helpful .(note: I had a lot of panicked phone calls from my very worried Dad advising me to leave Turkey as soon as I could… and if I was to go anywhere, to take an “emergency bag” with me – later this was greeted with hilarity as images of battling through a war-torn country with only my handy emergency bag with clean knickers and a toothbrush inside came to mind)

People have said time and time before that Erasmus would change your perspective of the world. I used to pass this off as a bit flowery and generally a bit crap. However, the opportunities that this year has bought me, the friends I have made from all over the world, and obtaining a second family is something that has blown me away. I have learnt more about myself than I could ever know, and turns out I am pretty bloody resilient, and can surprise myself with what I can achieve.
I have met some friends for life (not you Rafay) and been consistently amazed with how people from all over the world, from completely different backgrounds can come together in friendships that defy all notions of religion, patriotism and politics.
This summer, and my return to England has not been kind for a long list of reasons. I have lost 2 of my best friends through very upsetting circumstances. However, when I am feeling sad – I look back on the Evie that would have sat in the same position I am in now a year ago – and she is a completely different person to who I am now. I genuinely think the Evie of pre-turkey would have survived the summer I have just endured!  So thanks Attaturk for giving me that strength.

So, with that I would like to thank all of those who have followed my story, my blog and my updates. I have genuinely loved writing them – and reading them back is so rewarding. I cannot wait until the time comes where blogging is justified once more.

Finally, I would like to thank everyone who made this year what it was. Thank you to the Stannard family clan for constantly reassuring me. Thank you to my friends who shared these incredible experiences with (ERASMUS FOREVER MAAAAN) and thank you to all those who are probably sick to death hearing about it. Thank you to all my pupils of English Speaking Club at the Parliament for putting up with me, and teaching me so much in return. Thank you to the Gokcimen aile who took me into their home, their family and their hearts. You have redefined what kindness is. 

 Finally, thank you to Turkey. A country so rich and diverse, whose populace is passionate and occasionally absolutely crazy.
Until next time,
Iyi geceler. Evie. (Ivy) 




- I would like to dedicate this final post to my late Grandpa - Frank Stannard. His love of travelling and his stories has ignited a passion to see the world since I was tiny. I wouldn't be who I am today without you Grandpa. You're my inspiration.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment..