Here it goes...

Here it goes...

Sunday 2 June 2013

Everywhere is Taksim Square

As I write this, I am finding it hard to breathe as tear gas is creeping in through the windows - I can hear at least 9 sirens. Ankara is well and truly burning. 
On the 31st of  May, 2013 police tear gassed peaceful protesters in Gezi Park, Istanbul. These people were protesting against AKP Government plans to destroy the last bit of greenery in central Istanbul, which was planned to be replaced by a huge mall and a mosque.
 From this point, the situation in Turkey has, quite honestly, gone fucking ape shit.
 DO NOT believe the Turkish Media, they are government controlled and biased. I know for a fact that 100's of people have been severely injured in Ankara alone, and suspect the death toll - if not already started is rising.  
 As I write this we are entering the fourth day of  violence in both Istanbul and Ankara. Other cities are engaged in political unrest, but the epicenter which was previously Istanbul, has now shifted to Ankara.

I will discuss the reasons why this is happening at a later date, when my braincell's are on my side and my head does not feel like it is made of playdough. 
For now, let me express to my family that I am in good hands, I am safe and I am avoiding any unnecessary danger. I do not wish to worry you - but this information NEEDS to be shared and understood. If we rely on the Turkish media as our outlet of the events in this city, it will be distorted and tell a fake truth.

Let be repeat the ethos of these uprisings. This is not about a park. This is about democracy. This is not about unnecessary destruction and vandalism, this is about the fundamental right of expression. 
If you advocate expression, democracy and fundamental human rights you will realize this and adopt the idom that: Everyone is Taksim Square. You are Taksim Square. We are Taksim Square. (Although at this point in the proceedings, it is safe to say we are all Kizilay Square.) 

Please, share this with as many as you can. It is important these images and this message is spread. 
For now I will leave you with these images.

A very reflective Evie Stannard - who's Erasmus experience is definitely something different. 
.
 Ankara - 01.06.2013. The "Steam" is Tear Gas. There have been reports of Agent Orange being used mixed with regular gas - a substance banned by the UN


 A bit of light relief 
 Regular citizens doing their shopping in Gas Masks.















Credit goes to those who took these photographs.

Friends - these images and these circumstances need to be shared globally. Turkish Media is limiting what the international realm hears. The situation is grave. Yet, solidarity between protesters and the strength of the Turkish people in continuing their fight for expression and freedom is admirable.

Stay safe Ankara. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment..